Skip to main content

My Movie Bucket List

The summer I graduated from university I took the opportunity of a bit of downtime to start to work through those films “you need to watch.” There are loads of books and online lists of all of the films you need to see before you die (one of which I really enjoyed working through recently), but there are some films that find their way on each. I’m talking about those films where people’s jaws drop to the floor if you were to mention that you haven’t them. “OMG you would LOVE that!… HOW have you never seen that?... You haven’t LIVED until you have watched it,” etc etc.
Image result for embarassed gif
Source
That summer I made full use of the LoveFilm offer of a free month’s subscription, and then eventually succumbed to paying for a few more. The idea of renting DVDs online seems dated already but at the time it was a great chance for me to get hold of all of the classic films I wanted to work through. I would have a list of films I ‘needed’ to watch and I would receive one on the doormat every other day. I then had to watch it as soon as possible so that I could get it back in the post and receive the next one on the list. Despite my best efforts there are still some films I ‘have’ to see. One day I will do a post on my attempt to educate my girlfriend with films she hadn’t seen (Jurassic Park was one!... see, I’m doing it now), but for now here is my list of movies that I’ve never caught but really probably should have.
Source

  • Citizen Kane (1941)
  • Casablanca (1942)
  • On the Waterfront (1954)
  • Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
  • Dr Zhivago (1965)
  • Deer Hunter (1978)
  • Apocalypse Now (1979)
  • The Blues Brothers (1980)
  • Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
  • JFK (1991)
  • Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
  • The Blair Witch Project (1999)
  • Spirited Away (2001)
  • Amélie (2001)
  • City of God (2002)
  • Oldboy (2003)
  • V for Vendetta (2006)


 creep arrival apocalypse now gabber picnic mud bath GIF
Source

Embarrassingly, I actually own a fair few of these... *awkwardly glances over at Apocalypse Now still in it’s cellophane.* Hopefully I’ll start chipping away at this list over the next few months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Driver (2017)

Source Shaun of the Dead (2004) is somehow one of my favourite ever comedies, as well as making it on to  my list of favourite ever horror films .  Hot Fuzz (2007) is brilliantly funny too (always thought it would make a great cinema double bill with Bigelow's Point Break, the 1991 thriller from which it took a lot of inspiration), but I don’t remember reacting to The World’s End (2013) in anyway near the same way.  While the first two in Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy’ heavily referenced films I knew very well to comedic effect, I remember thinking that I would find The World’s End funnier when I’m older… so its terrifying to think that soon may be the time to give that another go.  I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright’s snappy style and cuts, and there’s actually a great analysis of his visual comedy which I recommend checking out here .  After he backed out of doing Marvel's Ant-Man in 2015, the release of Baby Driver crept up on me a bit this year. ...

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man o...

My Guilty Pleasures

Everyone has those films they may be a tad embarrassed to admit they liked. They went to the cinema with their dark shades on and hat pulled right down. They hide the DVD in a cupboard and only take it out to watch when they’re alone and the curtains are pulled. Well here are mine. What do critics know anyway? Vertical Limit (2000) Rotten Tomatoes = 48% Source I actually remember going to the cinema with my Dad and brother to see Chris O’Donnell jump, slide and fall from icy mountain faces. The film’s story may be a bit clichéd, but the action sequences are absolutely brilliant. You’re in for a thrill ride right from the start when Peter (O’Donnell) and Annie (Robin Tunney) have to witness their Dad cut himself loose and fall to his death to save them. Years later Peter is left pulling together a ramshackle climbing crew up K2 after the elite team his sister was a part of are hit by an avalanche during a climb. With his sister trapped down a crevasse, he’s then faced with fierce...