Skip to main content

My Best Films of 2016

Source
Next year Charlotte and I have said we need to get better at going to the cinema.  After a strong first 6 months we tailed off a bit in the second half of 2016 as house hunting, and trying to make the most of living in the city centre while we can got in the way.  Despite that, there weren't many films I'm overly gutted about having missed, but that that may explain the minimal number of changes to my half year review.  Looking back on this list it's clearly been a strong year for films.  Here are my faves.  Well done 2016.

11. Hell or High Water

This was a great surprise.  There didn't seem a huge amount of fuss made over this film when it was out, but I was taken aback by brilliant performances by Jeff Bridges, Chris Pine and Ben Foster, but more so by the David Mackenzie's direction.
Image result for hell or high water gif
Source
10. I, Daniel Blake

There aren't too many films that have ended up transcending the medium and generated political discussions on television and radio, but Ken Loach's brutal I, Daniel Blake did exactly that.  It opens a window in to life below the poverty line and highlights the short drop there is to fall to get to that situation.  That scene in the food bank is shocking and gut-wrenching in equal measure.  It's a must watch.
Image result for i, daniel blake
Source
9. Moana

Disney does it again.  The switch to CGI has been a huge success, and Moana takes it place alongside Tangled and Frozen as one of their absolute best.  The fact Lin-Manuel Miranda played a huge role in the music helps.
Image result for moana gif
Source
8. Zootropolis

A real toss up with Moana as to which would come out on top of the kid's animations for me this year.  Zootropolis edges out Moana due to it's clever interpretation of the world around us, warts and all.  It makes it an important watch for kids and adults alike.
Image result for zootropolis
Source
7. Anomalisa

There aren't many films that have left as longer a lasting impression on me this year as Anomalisa and it's incredibly detailed puppetry.  The decision to use puppets isn't just for the sake of it, and used as a clever metaphor for one man's mid-life crisis.  It's more real an interpretation of an inner conflict than many other films have managed with real life actor.
Image result for anomalisa
Source
6. The Witch

Terrifying.  Absolutely terrifying.  Once you have the ear for the dialogue (please don't let it put you off) you're in for a creepy horror that made my skin crawl.  It's completely unnerving and I was so pleased when it ended.  But in a good way.
Image result for the witch
Source
5. Room

I still believe this is one of the best ever child performances, and that Jacob Tremblay should have received an Oscar nomination.  Thankfully, Brie Larson's performance wasn't overlooked in a film that had everyone in the screening I was at in tears.
Image result for room film
Source
4. Creed

It's a Rocky film, you know what to expect.  What many didn't see coming was a Golden Globe performance from Sly Stallone himself, the excellent Michael B. Jordan giving it his all, and some breathtaking cinematography.  The films opens to a long shot lasting an entire warm up routine, up the stairs, in to the ring, and the whole round, and it doesn't let up after that.
Image result for creed film gif
Source
3. Rogue One

Gareth Edwards.  Take a bow.  As much as I enjoyed Monsters (2010), although Godzilla (2014) had it's moments, I was a bit disapointed after one of the best trailers ever.  I was therefore a tad hesitant when Edwards was handed the helm for the first ever Star Wars stand alone story.  I feel pretty stupid now.
star wars rogue one star wars rogue one
Source
2. The Revenant

The Revenant looks so good you could watch it on mute.  Alejandro G. Iñárritu certainly has a way of constructing a sequence.  I was left ducking away from stray arrows during some of the battle scenes, trying to catch my breath when Leo fell in the icy water, and grabbing for my hoodie when all he had was a horse carcass.
movie film trailer leonardo dicaprio arts
Source
1. The Nice Guys

The film that stood out for my at the half way point of 2016 lasts the distance.  I honestly can't remember a comedy I laughed as hard or as often at in a long time.  I really should hate Ryan Gosling, but he has a knack for being brilliant in brilliant films.  So annoying.  Him and Russell Crowe build a brilliant double act in a buddy cop formula that has been done to death (not least by Shane Black already in 1987's Lethal Weapon and 2005's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), but somehow this feels fresh and original.
ryan gosling cheers russell crowe the nice guys
Source

Comments

  1. Everybody wants some? War on Everyone? Great list though Phil x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on