Skip to main content

The Secret Life of Pets (2016)

Source
The Secret Life of Pets is a made for kids animated comedy directed by Chris Renaud and Yarrow Cheney, and written by Brian Lynch, Cinco Paul, and Ken Daurio.  The film tells the story of what our pets are getting up to when left alone at home by their parent owners.  Hmmm…
Source
Max (voiced by Louis C.K.) is adored by his owner and loves her right back.  Hmmm…
Source
Unfortunately for Max, his owner adopts a newer, bigger, cuddlier dog called Duke (Eric Stonestreet) who threatens to steal the limelight entirely.  Hmmm…
Source
The two end up lost, fending for themselves in a scary city.  Hmmm…
Source
Eventually they come cross what appears to be an evil gang of animals, hidden away from the rest of the world.  Hmmm…
Source
Eventually they see past their earlier grievances and form a team, becoming good friends in the process.  Hmmmmmm…
Source
The Secret Life of Pets is an unoriginal 90 minutes of cute animals relentlessly moving from one slapstick scenario to the next without any real care put in to the bits in between.  I couldn’t name one character walking out of the cinema, and that’s because you’re really not bothered about them or the plot.  The character decision making and story are really incoherent, and it's all just a vehicle for a cat to fall off a table and a dog to run in to a wall.  The voice acting’s good (Mel Brooks a personal highlight) and I did laugh at bits, but although it will keep the kids entertained for the duration it’s pretty unmemorable and unremarkable.  When you have films such as Zootropolis (2016) showing that kid’s films can be challenging as well as extremely entertaining, why lower your standards?

I would advise you watch the trailer for The Secret Life of Pets (as that is essentially the film's opening 10 minutes anyway, and its best bit by a mile), and then go and pre-order Zootropolis.

Comments

  1. This type of pets movie is what kids love. Thats what made toy story such a great success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Driver (2017)

Source Shaun of the Dead (2004) is somehow one of my favourite ever comedies, as well as making it on to  my list of favourite ever horror films .  Hot Fuzz (2007) is brilliantly funny too (always thought it would make a great cinema double bill with Bigelow's Point Break, the 1991 thriller from which it took a lot of inspiration), but I don’t remember reacting to The World’s End (2013) in anyway near the same way.  While the first two in Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy’ heavily referenced films I knew very well to comedic effect, I remember thinking that I would find The World’s End funnier when I’m older… so its terrifying to think that soon may be the time to give that another go.  I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright’s snappy style and cuts, and there’s actually a great analysis of his visual comedy which I recommend checking out here .  After he backed out of doing Marvel's Ant-Man in 2015, the release of Baby Driver crept up on me a bit this year. ...

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man o...

My Guilty Pleasures

Everyone has those films they may be a tad embarrassed to admit they liked. They went to the cinema with their dark shades on and hat pulled right down. They hide the DVD in a cupboard and only take it out to watch when they’re alone and the curtains are pulled. Well here are mine. What do critics know anyway? Vertical Limit (2000) Rotten Tomatoes = 48% Source I actually remember going to the cinema with my Dad and brother to see Chris O’Donnell jump, slide and fall from icy mountain faces. The film’s story may be a bit clichéd, but the action sequences are absolutely brilliant. You’re in for a thrill ride right from the start when Peter (O’Donnell) and Annie (Robin Tunney) have to witness their Dad cut himself loose and fall to his death to save them. Years later Peter is left pulling together a ramshackle climbing crew up K2 after the elite team his sister was a part of are hit by an avalanche during a climb. With his sister trapped down a crevasse, he’s then faced with fierce...