Skip to main content

The BFG (2016)

Source
When the trailer for Steven Spielberg’s big screen adaptation of one of our favourite ever children stories was released, I promised I would take my sister, Suzie, to watch it. It became a dangling carrot for her as she worked through her A Level exams and last weekend we finally got round to watching it. We’ve always loved Roald Dahl’s books, and we would watch the novel’s 1989 adaptation (with David Jason voicing the BFG) every time we went over to stay at our grandparent’s at summer.  If you weren't aware, it tells the story of an orphan called Sophie who becomes friends with The BFG, or 'Big Friendly Giant,' who takes her to Giant Country.

Mic trailer arts steven spielberg roald dahl
Source
The best way of describing this latest adaptation of The BFG is that it felt like a big warm hug. It somehow managed to be both familiar and original. Care’s been taken to respect what made the book and its character’s great, and the casting could not have been more perfect. The film’s been in production for so long that Robin Williams was originally considered for the title role, but it’s a real credit to him that I can’t imagine anyone other than Mark Rylance playing the BFG now. His friendly face and delivery of the genius dialogue was absolutely perfect. I actually thought that the more difficult role to play would be that of Sophie, particularly with the amount of CGI used. It can’t be easy having to perform to nothing but she manages to build a relationship with what must have been a green screen and some tennis balls. That, coupled with some of the best motion capture I’ve ever seen brings their relationship to life and that’s what this story hinges on. Spielberg clearly likes to make use of the possibilities he has when he’s not stuck behind a camera when he does animation. The Adventures of Tintin (2011) was a bit hit and miss as he experimented with the art, but the tracking shot as the adventurer’s chase after a hawk was breath-taking. He makes similar use of the ability to move the ‘camera’ around the action here, particularly as we explore the BFG’s house, and I thought it worked really well.

I really enjoyed Spielberg’s interpretation of dreams, Giant Country, London’s cobbled streets, and the creatures that inhabit both. I’ve heard that some feel this is a welcome return to Spielberg finding his inner child once again, and I can see what they mean. Off the recent success of the Spielberg and Stephen King homage that was Stranger Things, you get the impression that is something audiences are keen to see again. Hopefully Indiana Jones 5 carries on that theme! I did feel that the pacing of The BFG was a bit of a plateau throughout though and ended up feeling a bit longer than it’s running time. I badly wanted it to pick up the pace at times, go up a gear or two and excite a bit more. One of the best scenes was the duo’s visit to Buckingham Palace with fried eggs, frobscottle and whizzpopers in tow and it feels like its building to something. The finale went out with a bit of a whimper though and that’s such a shame when that will be many people’s lasting impression.

Image result for the bfg
Source
There have been multiple adaptations of Roald Dahl’s novels that formed a big part of my childhood. Our VHS copy of late great Gene Wilder’s turn as the title character in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971) got played to death. The animation in James and the Giant Peach (1996) is mad and brilliant, and Matilda (1996) got the magic of the novel spot on with its perfect casting and excellent soundtrack. My favourite was 1990’s seriously dark Witches (I’m not kidding, that bit when the kid gets stuck in the picture and grows old and dies is horrifying…), but these books and films played a huge part in my childhood. That’s the benchmark. Spielberg’s BFG is a lovely family film that adults and children will really enjoy. I strongly recommend it, but I don’t think it quite has the longevity of those other Roald Dahl film adaptations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Driver (2017)

Source Shaun of the Dead (2004) is somehow one of my favourite ever comedies, as well as making it on to  my list of favourite ever horror films .  Hot Fuzz (2007) is brilliantly funny too (always thought it would make a great cinema double bill with Bigelow's Point Break, the 1991 thriller from which it took a lot of inspiration), but I don’t remember reacting to The World’s End (2013) in anyway near the same way.  While the first two in Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy’ heavily referenced films I knew very well to comedic effect, I remember thinking that I would find The World’s End funnier when I’m older… so its terrifying to think that soon may be the time to give that another go.  I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright’s snappy style and cuts, and there’s actually a great analysis of his visual comedy which I recommend checking out here .  After he backed out of doing Marvel's Ant-Man in 2015, the release of Baby Driver crept up on me a bit this year. ...

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man o...

My Guilty Pleasures

Everyone has those films they may be a tad embarrassed to admit they liked. They went to the cinema with their dark shades on and hat pulled right down. They hide the DVD in a cupboard and only take it out to watch when they’re alone and the curtains are pulled. Well here are mine. What do critics know anyway? Vertical Limit (2000) Rotten Tomatoes = 48% Source I actually remember going to the cinema with my Dad and brother to see Chris O’Donnell jump, slide and fall from icy mountain faces. The film’s story may be a bit clichĂ©d, but the action sequences are absolutely brilliant. You’re in for a thrill ride right from the start when Peter (O’Donnell) and Annie (Robin Tunney) have to witness their Dad cut himself loose and fall to his death to save them. Years later Peter is left pulling together a ramshackle climbing crew up K2 after the elite team his sister was a part of are hit by an avalanche during a climb. With his sister trapped down a crevasse, he’s then faced with fierce...