Skip to main content

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (2016)

Source
Tom Cruise and director Edward Zwick reunite after their successful 2003 collaboration, The Last Samurai, in the second of the Jack Reacher movie interpretations: Never Go Back.  If anyone actually got over the choice of Cruise to play Lee Child's title character of his long running novel series, they were left with a movie that had a lot going for it.  Unfortunately, it's follow up may have killed the franchise in it's tracks... [insert 'Never Go Back' pun].  Tom Cruise plays Jack Reacher, an ex army major who "they ran out of medals to give" but eventually decided to leave and live his life roaming the streets.  Never Go Back tells the story of his budding friendship with a current army major (Cobie Smulders), and his decision to go on the run with her when she is wrongly framed for espionage.  


Image result for jack reacher never go back gif
Source
The books are a bit throw-away, but really good fun, and I enjoyed the two I've read.  Reacher's part investigator, part hard man/action hero, and his strong moral compass and intuitive skillset result in a protagonist it's very easy to get behind.  He's also a movie franchise goldmine, and it's no surprise the industry turned to this back catalogue.  What is surprising is how disinterested Cruise appears in this latest installment after fighting so hard for the rights, and (mostly) shaking off the initial controversy surrounding his casting (if you didn't know, Jack Reacher's supposed to be 6ft 5inch, weighing in at 210-250 pounds).  The controversy around the decision threatened to overshadow what I thought was a good interpretation of the character and some really memorable sequences.  It couldn't have been easy shouldering that burden, and yet here it just doesn't seem like he is trying.  I'm an embarrassingly big Tom Cruise fan, and if I were to try to defend him here I would say that he's just gone a bit overboard on the cold, distanced nature of the Reacher character.  Unfortunately it just comes across as if he's not that bothered.  His action sequences, if a little tame, are solid enough though and it's always great to see Cruise trading punches and scaling walls himself.

It's certainly not all on him though, and nobody has been given all that much to work with.  The story is very paint by numbers, and seems to flatline really early on.  The one paced plot and feel of the film is that of a midday TV film, but with Tom Cruise in, and it hit every thriller/action cliche on the way.  I also found the score quite jarring at times.  It often felt forced, as if it was trying very hard to tell you how to feel:  "Be excited!!" But I've no idea why they're running... "Aw, be emotional!!"  But I don't care if that's his daughter or not...  "This is tense!!"  I don't know who that guy is... and so on.  It's pretty lazy trick and just highlighted that the other cogs in the storytelling weren't doing their bit.  All the characters are pretty one dimensional.  Cobie Smulders was pretty badass though... that's about it.
Image result for jack reacher never go back
Source
That being said, Never Go Back is watchable.  I wasn't looking at my watch, but nor was I desperate to find out what happens next.  While the first Jack Reacher film (2012) had a brilliant cast (Rosamund Pike, David Oyelowo, Richard Jenkins, and Robert Duvall), and great sequences such as the car chase, an explosive finale, and the sniper shooter from the car park, I'm not sure I'll be able to recall much of it's follow up effort for long (hence why I'm writing this having just got back from the cinema!).  I remember Mark Kermode rating Diane (2013) 2 stars, and saying that sometimes a 2 star rated film can actually be worse than a 1 star film.  For a film to be 1 star, it's got to be pretty terrible.  Outrageously bad.  But so much so that's memorable.  It doesn't get more bland and uninteresting than a 2 star film, and I'm sad to say that is exactly what Never Go Back is.  Don't worry Tom, I'll forgive you.
wow animated GIF
Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on