Skip to main content

Last Exit To Nowhere

Source
When you’re buying presents for me, DVDs are probably a no go. There’s a good chance I will have it already, and if I don’t then I’m not sure the shelves currently bulging at the seams with DVDs would appreciate the latest boxset quite as much as me. For my birthday then, Charlotte carried on the movie theme by heading straight for Last Exit to Nowhere. Run by film enthusiasts, the apparel company revel in designing clothes littered in cleverly subtle movie references. Whether it’s a t-shirt with the Blade Runner noddle bar logo on, or a Bedford Falls (It’s a Wonderful Life, 1946) sweatshirt, the website is a paradise for film nerds. Below are the beginnings of my collection.

Mighty Mick’s Boxing Hoodie

Clichéd as it is, running of the Philadelphia steps and jumping around is right up there on my bucket list. For the time being, the closest I can come is wearing this really comfy hoodie with the Micky’s Gym logo on the front. Super subtle reference that will past many by, but I did get a very excited cashier at Spar pointing out how much she liked it one day. Probably a bit too thick for actually going for a run in, but perfect for lazing around in front of a Rocky montage as you stuff your face full of pringles.




Jaws 19 T-shirt

Probably my favourite of them all. Love that it combines two of my favourite films in one with its logo from the joke Jaws sequel Marty comes across in back to the Future via a giant shark hologram ad. Really nice fit too. Shame there aren’t more of these baseball style tops on the site.


Amity Island Jumper

Another Jaws reference (Charlotte knows me well), and maybe the most obvious of all of the references on my list. The advert for the doomed island from the Jaws franchise looks great and has had a couple of appreciative nods from fellow cinemagoers.


Unicorn origami T-shirt

Although I’d had my eye on this for a long time, I finally went for it when the site had a 20% off code available. There were loads of colours to pick from, it fits really well, and I like how distinctive the image is without rubbing in your face what it’s referencing. Dave Bautista tweeted a picture of the unicorn origami as a reveal that he would be in the sequel currently in production. Needless to say I can’t wait to see how that turns out. I’ve always really liked the original, and even have a Bladerunner Cinema Redux up on my wall. Apparently I have to take my sister to see the new one though. May be something to do with Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford sharing the same screen. Just maybe…

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Secret History of Hollywood Podcast

A while back for my previous job I had to drive from the office near Manchester, down to London, and then back again after a couple of days.  Rather than sitting through the same songs on my iPod during the journey, I thought I would search for a decent podcast to listen to.  The previous time I had made a similar journey I had listened to an audiobook of Oscar Wilde's 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' and although it was a great listen I was up for something for cinema themed this time round.  Having searched through iTunes, I came across 'The Secret History of Hollywood.'  The 'Universe of Horrors' episode in particular caught my eye, and although the 7 hour run time would put many off, it was exactly what I was after.

@philpotts89 Thank you! — Hollywood Histories (@moviehistories) September 4, 2016
As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, the podcast's examination of the role of the monster movie in the rise of Universal studios really caught my imagination a…

Manchester by the Sea (2017)

If there is one way to get me giddy for a film, it’s having Friday Night Lights' very own Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) in it.  Although other fans of one of the greatest TV shows ever may also be hoping for a 2 hour Chandler motivational speech, that isn't how Manchester by the Sea pans out.  Instead Kenneth Lonergan (who writes and directs) has created a deeply moving and realistic look at grief, family and loss.  A comedy it ain't, but Manchester by the Sea was a film I could have watched for another 5 hours so attached was I to it's characters and story.  It's subject matter makes it a difficult sell, but I really hope this finds an audience as it was an enthralling piece of work.

The story is a difficult one to tell while avoiding certain spoilers, but I think that is important so as not to lessen the impact of particular scenes.  Essentially, Manchester by the Sea is about Lee Chandler (Casey Affleck) - a man forced to care for his nephew (Lucas Hedges) followi…

Baby Driver (2017)

Shaun of the Dead (2004) is somehow one of my favourite ever comedies, as well as making it on to my list of favourite ever horror films.  Hot Fuzz (2007) is brilliantly funny too (always thought it would make a great cinema double bill with Bigelow's Point Break, the 1991 thriller from which it took a lot of inspiration), but I don’t remember reacting to The World’s End (2013) in anyway near the same way.  While the first two in Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy’ heavily referenced films I knew very well to comedic effect, I remember thinking that I would find The World’s End funnier when I’m older… so its terrifying to think that soon may be the time to give that another go.  I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright’s snappy style and cuts, and there’s actually a great analysis of his visual comedy which I recommend checking out here.  After he backed out of doing Marvel's Ant-Man in 2015, the release of Baby Driver crept up on me a bit this year.  Had I known one of the m…