Skip to main content

YouTube Movie Vids

Source

From movie reviews to film analysis, there is a huge library of content available on YouTube that I try to keep my eye on.  Here's a few of my faves.

Chris Stuckmann


The other week I went through a few books I had read recently, and Chris Stuckmann's list of must watch films from the 2000s and 2010s was on that.  As good an intro to modern films as that book is, Stuckmann's strength is definitely in front of the camera.  There are hundreds of people doing the same thing he does, but nobody quite as well in my opinion.  His passion and enthusiasm for films really comes across in every video, and it's clear he is genuinely worked up about good and bad films.  I found his page a while back when I came across his 'Hilariocity' reviews of particularly terrible films and found myself quickly falling down the rabbit hole of his review back catalogue.  His analysis is really accessible, and skits pretty funny too.  I often find some of the reviews a little repetitive, going over the same point more than necessary but that's only a small thing, and I will spend most lunch hours watching his latest video.  Well worth checking out his YouTube page.

Nerdwriter


The Nerdwriter posts insightful videos every week on a multitude of different art and science themes.  Although not just focusing on film, they're obviously the ones I have been ticking off one by one.  His analysis of film is absolutely fascinating, and the time and detail spent on each video is really apparent.  The Nerdwriter doesn't patronise his audience and it's impossible not to come away from one his many videos feeling a little smarter.

CineFix



Everyone loves a countdown, and nobody does it quite as well as CineFix.  The videos come thick, fast and funny, but not without it being clear that they know exactly what they are talking about too.  I have found their film countdowns a really fun way of accessing films I had never watched before, as well as inspiring me to think what would make my list.  They do lists of things you may not know about your favourite movies, movie countdowns such as the video above, and more.  This is another lunch break favourite of mine, and I'll be keeping an eye out for their latest uploads most days.

Screen Junkie - Honest Trailers


As well as fascinating film analysis, we all have time to laugh at the ridiculousness of cinema too, and nobody does it quite as well as the Honest Trailers produced by Screen Junkies.  Every big film is a target, and they take no prisoners, tearing apart new releases and past classics (although you can sense the underlying respect for the latter) in the form of a new trailer.  I wouldn't watch any of films you haven't seen unless you want all of it's plot holes spoiled for you, but once I put one of these on they're often too funny to switch off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Don't Breathe (2016)

Source Directed by Fede Alvarez, Home Alone 6 Don’t Breathe stars Jane Levy, Dylan Minnette and Daniel Zovatto as three young burglars that pick the wrong house. Stephen Lang plays their apparent easy target: a blind man with a ridiculous Tom Hardy-esc voice, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash hidden in his house. Their new host manages to turn the tables though, and if you have seen the trailer you will know what I mean when I say that this is one of the most original concepts for a horror film I’ve seen in a long time. Source This was the third time my friend Eve and I had tried to go to see something together at the cinema. Hail, Caesar! (2016) didn’t happen when phone batteries and ridiculous traffic conspired against us, and The Usual Suspects (1995) didn’t happen when Odeon forgot to get the rights to show it! So when we found ourselves running nearly 30 minutes late in awful traffic again, we were close to giving up and banning each other from going a

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man of Steel w

Cineworld Unlimited Card Review

Source I love the cinematic experience – Despite my embarrassingly large DVD collection, there is nothing like the escapism of the immersive cinematic experience. Films are created with that experience in mind, not for those sat watching films on their laptops at home. I’ve been a Cineworld Unlimited card holder for over 5 years now, and I would recommend it to anyone. Today I have worked through the many benefits to owning the card that I’ve come across during that time. The experience isn’t perfect, and if you have ever been to any multiplex cinema you’ll know what I mean, but to have access to as many films as I like as often as I like is a total no brainer. If you like your movies the way they are meant to be watched, it’s the way to go. The Money – Is it Worth It? Source For £17.40 a month you have “unlimited” access to movies – as many as you like, as many times as you like. With ticket prices as expensive as they are, to make that worthwhile per month you would on