Skip to main content

My Best Films of 2016 So Far - 6 month Review

Now that we’re half way through the year (okay, okay, so this is a month late.. soz), here is a list of some of my favourite 2016 films so far. To keep it simple, this is January – June, and not Oscar years. And if your fave isn’t here, let’s stay friends and just assume I didn’t catch it when it came out <3

9. 10 Cloverfield Lane

Anyone expecting a monster movie much like it’s (sort of) predecessor will be pretty disappointed. Anyone after an extremely tense, claustrophobic mystery about trust and survival are going to be in for one hell of a ride. John Goodman looks like he gives good hugs. Shame he’s terrifying here.

Source
8. Spotlight

Fascinating insight in to the process of a journalistic investigation. The scale and severity of the sex abuse scandal that the Boston Globe unearthed is gut wrenching, and paired with some fantastic performances right round the whole cast.

Source
7. Zootropolis

Not only is this a great feel good kids comedy with brilliant animation and voice work, but this is something all kids (and adults) NEED to see. It’s got an important messages about xenophobia and political correctness, and does so without lecturing. It’s the film The Secret Life of Pets wishes it was.

Disney Zootopia funny happy laughing joy GIF
Source

6. Anomalisa

This animation about a man struggling to understand his place in this world, is done entirely with puppets. The detail in the animation itself is incredible, but the biggest compliment I could pay it is that I barely noticed they were puppets at all as it went on. They are fully fledged people with real problems in as disturbing a real a story as you will see. And there’s a puppet sex scene. Yeah, that was weird.

Source
5. The Witch

We made the extremely smart decision of catching this at the already creaky and slightly spooky (but beautiful) Electric Theatre in Birmingham. Although it may take a few minutes to get round the medieval dialogue, The Witch is one of the best horrors I’ve seen in a long time. Rather than filling with unnecessary torture porn, this gets under your skin and leaves you thinking about it way after its run time. I’m now terrified of goats.
Source
4. Room

There weren’t too many dry eyes left in the cinema after Room. An original story based on the novel by Emma Donoghue, we enter the world of a mother and her son: a world that goes as far as one room. It’s heart-warming, heart-breaking, and has one of the best ever child performances (should have got an Oscar nom for me) by Jacob Tremblay.



Source
3. Creed

As I'm a big Rocky fan, and have loved Michael B. Jordan since Friday Night Lights, this may be a bit biased, but I was blown away with how good Creed was.  Jordan is reunited with his Fruitvale Station director, and as good as Sly Stallone was in this, these two steal the show.  Michael B. Jordan's superb as Creed Jnr, but those tracking shot fight scenes are absolutely breathtaking.
Source
2. The Revenant

Leo realised that to get that Oscar all her had to do was fight a bear, be buried alive, be swept down a river, sleep inside a horse carcass, and eat raw fish. No brainer. I actually felt cold myself watching this, but it was the film’s sweeping cinematography that blew me away. There are some ridiculous tracking shots that go on and on in between battle scenes, so much so that you feel you’re right there with them. In the mud. And the rain. Bleurgh.

Source

1. The Nice Guys

Easily one of the best comedies I’ve seen in a long long time. A buddy copy movie with two megastar leads with superb chemistry, all set in a funky, sleazy 70s. The mystery that unfolds is actually really intriguing, but the jokes are none stop, and every one hits home. Can’t remember I had this much fun at the cinema! It’s like a (really) funny L.A. Confidential.

Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Driver (2017)

Source Shaun of the Dead (2004) is somehow one of my favourite ever comedies, as well as making it on to  my list of favourite ever horror films .  Hot Fuzz (2007) is brilliantly funny too (always thought it would make a great cinema double bill with Bigelow's Point Break, the 1991 thriller from which it took a lot of inspiration), but I don’t remember reacting to The World’s End (2013) in anyway near the same way.  While the first two in Wright’s ‘Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy’ heavily referenced films I knew very well to comedic effect, I remember thinking that I would find The World’s End funnier when I’m older… so its terrifying to think that soon may be the time to give that another go.  I'm a huge fan of Edgar Wright’s snappy style and cuts, and there’s actually a great analysis of his visual comedy which I recommend checking out here .  After he backed out of doing Marvel's Ant-Man in 2015, the release of Baby Driver crept up on me a bit this year. ...

Wonder Woman (2017)

Source You may have heard this already, but Wonder Woman is a bit good.  I've grown pretty tired of the superhero formula and constant revolving door of money machine films in similar packaging, but was really impressed with the freshness of Deadpool (2016) and in particular, Logan   (2017) .   One of my favourite YouTube subscriptions , Nerdwriter , analysed this evolution of the superhero genre in his most recent video and put it much better than I ever could - suddenly, it's an interesting time to be making a superhero movie again. Source Saying that, until the positive reviews began to stream in I was approaching the release of Wonder Woman with a fair bit of trepidation.   DC film have obviously been really disappointing, drab affairs of late.  Although I caught Man of Steel (2013) and Suicide Squad (2016), I'll admit that it's negative reception put me off sitting through over 3 hours of Batman vs Superman.  It's a shame as although Man o...

My Guilty Pleasures

Everyone has those films they may be a tad embarrassed to admit they liked. They went to the cinema with their dark shades on and hat pulled right down. They hide the DVD in a cupboard and only take it out to watch when they’re alone and the curtains are pulled. Well here are mine. What do critics know anyway? Vertical Limit (2000) Rotten Tomatoes = 48% Source I actually remember going to the cinema with my Dad and brother to see Chris O’Donnell jump, slide and fall from icy mountain faces. The film’s story may be a bit clichéd, but the action sequences are absolutely brilliant. You’re in for a thrill ride right from the start when Peter (O’Donnell) and Annie (Robin Tunney) have to witness their Dad cut himself loose and fall to his death to save them. Years later Peter is left pulling together a ramshackle climbing crew up K2 after the elite team his sister was a part of are hit by an avalanche during a climb. With his sister trapped down a crevasse, he’s then faced with fierce...